[CnD] OT: Making your kitchen accessible??

Penny Reeder penny.reeder at gmail.com
Thu Aug 4 19:44:57 GMT 2011

I rennovated my kitchen about 6 years ago.  Improvements I made that
have been especially helpful have been, under the counter lighting, a
flat-top stove with a double oven that I can label with braille and
find completely accessible -- and much easier to clean! --a microwave
with braille labels; an accessible kitchen timer that attaches to my
fridge (or the backyard grill, with a magnetic -- it talks and is
easy to set; pantry shelves with borders so that cans and boxes don't
fall off when I pull out the shelf to see what's there; a
refrigerator with water and ice dispensed from the door -- no more
spilled ice trays! -- and one of the best things for which I included
the price in my rennovation costs, an I.D.Mate.  The I.D.Mate is not
the latest model, but it still works, and I absolutely love it!

I recently bought the IGrill app for my IPhone.  You buy a digital
thermometer for it and then use the phone to set the
temperature.  You insert the thermometer in whatever you are grilling
or cooking, and when the temperature is reached, it beeps.  It is not
accessible yet, but the app maker says they are working on it and
it's a priority for them.

Meanwhile, the talking thermometer available at blind mice mart is
instantly readable and accessible as soon as one removes the food
from oven or grill, and I enjoy using it until the remote IGrill
thermometer becomes accessible.

Also the wonderful silicon potholders, and the set of 4 cutting matts
from Blind Mice Mart have been wonderful low-tech assistive devices.

HTH,
Penny