[CnD] City Hall Coffee Cake

Alex Hall mehgcap at gmail.com
Fri Aug 5 00:54:04 GMT 2011

Hi all,
Everyone has given me a lot of great recipes since I have been on
this list.  Today, I went through my sister's cookbook with her
to get the recipes I grew up with, and I thought I'd pass some
along.  This is the first one.  Sorry that the new lines are not
where they should be - blame my brailleNote.

City Hall Coffee Cake with Streusel Topping (baked
Yield: 1 9-inch (square) cake
45-50 minutes to cook
Ingredients
CAKE: 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter 1 cup sugar 2 eggs 1&3/4 cups
flour 1 tsp baking powder 1 tsp baking soda 1/2 tsp salt 8 oz.
sour cream

STREUSEL: 1/2 stick butter (at room temperature) 1/2 cup brown
sugar 1 tsp cinnamon 1/4 cups flour

PROCEDURE

CAKE: 1.  Preheat oven to 350°F.  Lightly grease 9-inch pan
(springform recommended).  2.  Cream butter in mixer.  Gradually
add sugar.  Let cream until sugar and butter mixture is fluffy,
about 2 minutes on medium.  3.  Add eggs, 1 at a time.  Beat well
(another 2 minutes or so).  4.  While that beats, combine the dry
ingredients in a bowl with a whisk.  5.  Add a third of the dry
ingredient mixture to the butter mixture, beat on low just until
combined.  Add half the sour cream, again beating just to
combine.  Add half of the remaining dry ingredient mixture and
beat to combine.  Add the rest of the sour cream and beat to
combine, still on low speed.  Add the rest of the dry ingredients
and beat to combine.  6.  Pour (or scrape - it may be thick) the
batter into the pan, spreading evenly.  Put streusel evenly on
top.  Alternatively, pour in half the batter, place a layer of
streusel on top, then add the rest of the batter and top with
remaining streusel.  7.  Bake 45-50 minutes, or until toothpick
inserted in center comes out clean.

STREUSEL: 1.  Mix the brown sugar and cinnamon together in a
bowl.  2.  Add the butter and mix well, working the cinnamon and
brown sugar into the butter.  3.  Add flour, mixing well.  4.
Work all ingredients together until texture is dry and crumbly.
You may have to add more of any or all ingredients until it feels
and tastes how you want it.  The taste is up to you, but the
texture should be that of gravel - small clumps with little
moisture.

Have a great day,
Alex (msg sent from BrailleNote
mehgcap at gmail.com; http://www.facebook.com/mehgcap