[CnD] suggestion for recipe reading, plus success!

Alex Hall mehgcap at gmail.com
Fri Aug 5 17:26:02 GMT 2011

Hi all,
I have successfully made the pumpkin chocolate chip muffins from a
recipe sent to this list some time ago. They turned out perfectly, and
the only help I had was in operating the oven's "touch" controls.

What I found out, and would like to pass on, is how effective my iPod
Touch was in reading the recipe. I don't have an embosser, and would
not want to write up the over 200 recipes I have by hand, and I
certainly was not going to put my $6,200 braille notetaker in the
kitchen with me. Finally, I just moved the text file with my recipe to
my dropbox (http://www.dropbox.com) folder, opened the dropbox app on
my iPod, and exported my recipe to the notes app on the iPod. This let
me simply move my finger down the screen to find what to do next, and
required no brailling of any kind. Best of all, the iPod could handle
being touched with dirty or wet fingers because of its case, whereas
electronic braille would have had a hard time and hard-copy braille
could have been damaged. Of course, the iPad/iPad2 or iPhone would
work just as well for this purpose. In fact, an iPad would have worked
better, with its larger screen.

Anyway, I just wanted to pass that along in case someone was not sure
how to check a recipe while cooking. If you need technical help on
doing this, let me know. Thanks again for all the recipes and
suggestions you all have sent, which made my first solo cooking
experience a huge success. Next on the list is something for dinner,
not just a dessert!

--
Have a great day,
Alex (msg sent from GMail website)