[CnD] Paninis and Quesadillas(was: Waffle irons)

Nicole Massey nyyki at gypsyheir.com
Fri Aug 5 23:01:49 GMT 2011

A Panini is an Italian grilled cheese sandwich, often with additional
ingredients in them, like ham or other meats or fruit along with the cheese.

Panini recipes often call for European cheeses like mozzarella or Swiss,
though I've seen some with Asiago and with cheddar. Provolone and Parmesan
also show up sometimes.

To be authentic use prosciutto or ham, or if you like the more strongly
spiced meats pepperoni or salami. Or slice up a red pear instead. Use rye or
a good European bread, and instead of buttering the bread you can use olive
oil. (A Misto is great for getting the right amount of oil on the bread)

A quesadilla is a Mexican inspired grilled cheese sandwich using tortillas
(usually flour) and other ingredients to make a round or half round flat
snack or entrée item. (This depends on if you use two tortillas or just one
to make it)  I first encountered quesadillas in tex-mex restaurants around
the late 70's, around the time fajitas (which came from the valley, the
valley so low in southern Texas) showed up. They started out as just cheese,
but soon grew things like spinach, chicken, fajita meat, bacon, mushrooms,
and just about anything you can name.

My favorite quesadilla mix for personal ones consists of about two cups of
shredded cheese, (cheddar, Jack, queso blanco, or one of the fiesta or
Mexican cheese blends)half a cup of a good medium heat salsa, one large can
of shredded chicken, and a cup and a half of frozen mixed vegetables. (peas,
carrots, corn, and green beans) This mixture keeps well in the fridge and
will usually make about six quesadillas. Oh, and I forgot, one can of
mushrooms, pieces and stems. I take out two tortillas about thirty minutes
after I took out the butter to soften, then I butter both well, drop one on
the quesadilla maker butter side down, drop enough of the mix to cover
evenly, add a bit more cheese for good measure and adhesiveness, then drop
the other tortilla on top, butter side up. I close it, plug it in, set the
timer for five minutes, and then unplug and grab a spatula to remove it.

A quesadilla maker is a good sized device similar to a George Foreman grill,
but with no prongs going up or down to hold meat in place and with a pattern
that facilitates cutting the quesadilla into six slices. It has a drain
receptacle like the Foreman, but the feet are wide enough that I usually
just position the drain hole over the edge of the sink.