[CnD] Digital ovens

Seigenthaler Family seigenthaler at san.rr.com
Sat Aug 6 15:39:08 GMT 2011

Hi all

I mentioned the other day that I have a gas range that, for the most part,
is accessible.  The only thing I can't do, or at least haven't learned to
do, is the oven cleaning setting.  All that had to be done to make this work
for me was to put some clear raised dot stickers on each of the buttons
before I was off and running.
The thing I like the best is that the oven does not default to any temp, you
have to enter the temp you want on the key pad and then hit start.  The cook
top, under the grate you set the pot is on is recessed so that anything that
might spill is contained.  The timer works like the oven temp, enter the
time you want and hit start.  Honestly though, I don't use the oven timer as
I use the timer on my iphone so that I can walk away and see the time
remaining on the food no matter where I am.

This stove though, was pretty expensive, but as I felt it was the most
accessible out there with the features I wanted I was willing to pay the
price.
The NFB website: www.nfb.org, has a great review of accessible appliances.

I am able to cook completely independently and am confident that I am
getting the temps I want and safely.
The feature of gas for cooking, in my opinion, is the best out there in
terms of my ability to control it quickly and easily.  Don't get me wrong, I
was very nervous of it in the beginning, I am completely blind and have been
my entire life so it scared me a bit.  After just a few times of using it, I
am a converted lover of cooking with gas.  I have far more control of it
than I ever did with an electric stove.  I have a child, and when she was
small the ability to turn the gas off, and know it was off and not hot was a
huge benefit.
I love to cook and and am so glad I spent the extra money for this stove.

Sorry for the length of this post but I hope you find it helpful.

Carrie

GE Profile model PGB908SEM3SS