[CnD] Basic Yellow Cake with Variations

Dale cookinginthedark at att.net
Sun Aug 7 14:29:07 GMT 2011

Basic Yellow Cake with Variations

Definition list of 8 items
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 cups milk
1/2 cup vegetable shortening
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 large eggs
1. Preheat oven to 350*F (175*C). Grease and lightly flour a 13 x 9 x 2-inch
baking pan
(or, two 9 x 1 1/2-inch round pans, or three 8 x 1 1/2-inch round pans). Set
aside.
2. In a large
mixing bowl
combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt, mixing well. Add the milk,
shortening and vanilla and beat with an electric mixer on medium to
medium-high
speed for 2 minutes, scraping sides of bowl as needed. Add the eggs and
continue beating an additional 2 minutes. Pour batter into prepared pan(s).
3. Bake the 13 x 9 x 2-inch
cake
for 40 to 45 minutes (or the 9-inch cakes for 30 to 35 minutes; the 8-inch
cakes for 20 to 25 minutes), or until a wooden pick inserted near center of
cake
comes out clean, or until cake springs back when touched lightly in the
center.
4. Cool the 13 x 9 x 2-inch cake on a wire rack. (Cool the 9 or 8-inch cakes
on wire racks for 10 minutes; remove from pans and cool completely on wire
racks.) Frost as desired.

Makes 12 to 16 servings.

Variations:

For Marble Cake: Pour half of the prepared cake batter into another bowl.
Mix 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled, 1 tablespoon sugar, 2
tablespoon
warm water and 1/4 teaspoon
baking
soda. Stir into one bowl of cake batter. Spoon light and dark batters
alternately into prepare cake pan(s). Using a thin spatula, cut through
batter several
times (without touching bottom of pan) for a marbled effect. Bake as
directed above.

For Cupcakes: Line 36 medium muffin cups with paper baking cups. Fill cups
about one-half full. Bake 20 minutes or until tested done. Cool in pan for 5
to 10 minutes on wire rack; remove and cool completely. Frost as desired.
Makes 36 cupcakes.