[CnD] bread machines

Nicole Massey nyyki at gypsyheir.com
Sun Aug 7 16:48:35 GMT 2011

The big question is if your machine has a "dough" setting. There are several
steps to making bread, and baking is the last of them. Some machines and
most modern machines have a dough setting which just takes it to the point
before baking. This is useful for a couple of reasons.

Bread machines tend to make loaves that aren't normal looking. They're the
shape of the dough pan, so they are square, or sometimes more rarely, round.
With a dough setting you can put the bread in a normal loaf pan and bake it
in the oven , resulting in a more normal looking loaf.
The other great use of the dough setting is in making yeast rolls or even
cinnamon rolls. (My bread machine came with a fat free cinnamon roll recipe
using this setting)

For anyone looking to buy a bread machine, here are some suggestions. First,
get a two pound loaf machine. The extra space is nice for any overflow, or
if you want to make a lot of rolls or cinnamon rolls. Second, look for other
features -- my machine also makes jam, and a friend of mine has one that
makes butter. Like any appliance, get the model number and check to make
sure you can get your manual online -- this just saves headache down the
line.
Next time I have someone sighted over here I'll get the make and model
number of my machine. I'm sure it's way out of production, but it is fairly
easy to use, with only three buttons and it's been reliable for a very long
time.

One more thing -- before you run out and buy one, I'd suggest looking at
Craig's List or your local Freecycle list if you have one. Bread machines
tend to be something that gets used once or twice and then not used ever
again in a lot of kitchens, and this means people will give them away a few
years later to get the space back.

There's nothing like the smell of a crock pot roast with potatoes and
carrots and such filling the house intermingled with the smell of baking
bread on a cold winter afternoon. Well, nothing except the taste of the
same, which trumps just about everything else.