[CnD] cinnamon rolls from scratch

Shannon Wells oldtimechristian at gmail.com
Thu Aug 25 21:21:09 GMT 2011

Cinnamon rolls
recipe adapted from a King Arthur bread making book, not sure of the title

3 cups all purpose flour
1/3 cup mash potato flakes
1/4 cup powdered milk
3 tbsp white granulated sugar
2 tsp active dry yeast
1-1/4 tsps salt
4 tbsps softened butter
1-1/8 cups warm water

Pour all dry ingredients in to a large bowl. Pour in warm water and stir. I use my hands. When mixed well, add butter and keep mixing with hands, sort of kneading it. It'll feel nasty, but keep working. When it holds together, place on floured board and knead until you can't knead anymore. lol
Place in an oiled bowl, make sure all sides of dough are covered in oil, cover and let rise until doubled in size, about an hour.
Remove from bowl and place on clean board. Using hands or rolling pin, roll out in to a rectangle about 12 inches by 15 inches.
Rub about 2 tbsps of softened butter on to the flat dough, covering the surface, but do not press butter in to the dough. Then, sprinkle ground cinnamon and granulated sugar on top of that. Use as much or as little as you like, maybe about 2 tbsps of each. I like more cinnamon, though.
When surface is covered, begin at the long edge of the dough and roll it up, pinching ends together and make the 2 ends of the roll kind of flat. Cut log in to about 1 inch slices and place in an oiled glass baking dish, a 9 by 13 dish. Cover the pan and let rise while preheating oven.
Preheat oven to 350. Bake cinnamon rolls about 20 minutes. Frost if you want. Recipe for frosting is below.

Frosting
2 cups powdered sugar
dash of salt
3 to 4 tbsp milk
vanilla
spoon of melted butter.

Mix all ingredients until you reach the consistency you want. Spread on to rolls and enjoy.

Note, You can make up the rolls the night before and put in the fridge over night. Bake in the morning. YUM!
Shannon Nicole Wells, author
http://www.wildheartbook.com
http://oldtimechristian.blogspot.com
http://www.twitter.com/authorshannon