[CnD] Weeknight Kitchen: Sunnyside Eggs on Potato Pancakes

Dale cookinginthedark at att.net
Wed Jun 1 12:01:27 GMT 2011

Recipe:  Sunnyside Eggs on Potato Pancakes
June 1, 2011

Dear Friends,

Eggs and potatoes never let you down. They can
turn into something decent practically under
their own steam, like this potato, mushroom and onion pancake.

It revealed itself last week. Shopping hadn't
happened, the brain had blanked out on ideas, we
were starving and I was scrambling. Then a couple
of potatoes turned up at the bottom of the onion
basket along with some tired mushrooms in the
crisper. A few minutes of slicing in the
processor, another 15 minutes in a skillet in a
blazing hot oven and this potato cake took shape.

But it sat there begging for a partner and so did
the last four eggs in the fridge.
Sunny side up eggs on potatoes resulted.
The trick was baking the eggs only long enough for their whites to firm up.
Supper was done.  If you haven't had the pleasure of running a forkful of
crisp potatoes through a creamy egg yolk, you've got to try this.
Sunnyside Eggs on Potato Pancakes

Serves 4
15 minutes prep time; 20 minutes stove time

Slice everything in the food processor with the
thinnest blade you've got. Logic says thin slices cook quicker than thick ones.

2 medium red-skin potatoes, unpeeled and sliced into paper-thin rounds
4 small cremini mushrooms or 1 large Portobello,
with their caps, thinly sliced
1/2 medium red onion, thinly sliced
6 large garlic cloves, thinly sliced
Grated zest of half a large lemon
1/2 cup tightly-packed fresh dill leaves, coarsely chopped
4 tablespoons good-tasting extra-virgin olive oil
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
4 large eggs
Juice of half a large lemon

1. Preheat the oven to 450ºF.
Have a 12-inch, slant-sided skillet (ideally
non-stick) with an ovenproof handle ready to go.
In a large bowl, toss together the potatoes,
mushrooms, onion, garlic, lemon zest, half of the dill,
about 2 tablespoons oil (enough to moisten everything)
with salt and pepper to taste.

2. Set the skillet over medium-high heat, lightly
film it with oil and let the oil get hot,
but not smoking.
Using a spatula spread the potato mixture over
the bottom and sides of the skillet in as thin a
layer as possible.
Carefully transfer the skillet to the oven.

3.  Bake about 15 minutes, or until the potatoes
are tender when pierced and are starting to
brown. Using two oven mitts, carefully remove the
skillet from the oven.  Break the 4 eggs on top
of the potatoes. Sprinkle them with a little salt
and pepper. With the heat proof mitts, carefully
put the skillet back in the oven.  Bake another 5
minutes, or until the egg whites are firm, and
the yolks are creamy but not runny.

4. With the two oven mitts, remove the skillet
from the oven, squeeze the lemon juice over the mixture
in the pan, then scatter the remaining dill over all.
Wrap a thick towel around the skillet handle to
protect yourself from being burned.

5. Use a pancake turner to slip out the eggs and
potatoes onto four dinner plates
and serve right away.
Chunks of chewy bread are good here.
If you'd like, pair the eggs and potatoes with
Spring Grill of Asparagus and Scallion Salad
(recipe follows).

Spring Grill of Asparagus and Scallion Salad

Serves 4 to 6

We rarely think of scallions as vegetables, yet
they are as flexible as carrots.
There's an Asian oneness about pairing these two
like-shaped vegetables of spring.

In this salad, the long stalks are fast-roasted,
then finished under the broiler for a touch of
char. That char sets off the cool cream of the
balsamic vinegar and shallot dressing.

Dressing
1 medium shallot, minced
1/2 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1/2 tablespoon red or white wine vinegar or cider vinegar
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 teaspoons coarse dark mustard
5 tablespoons heavy whipping cream

Salad
1 bunch pencil-slim asparagus (1 pound), trimmed of tough ends
3 bunches scallions (20 or so), trimmed of roots
and of 1 inch of their green tops
1 to 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper

Finish
2 tablespoons minced fresh chives or scallion tops

1. To make the dressing,
in a medium bowl, blend the shallot and vinegars
with salt and pepper to taste.
Mix in the mustard and heavy cream. Taste for seasoning, and set aside.

2. Set an oven rack about 5 inches from the broiler.
Preheat the oven to 450°F. Cover a large baking sheet with foil.
Spread the asparagus and scallions over the
sheet, leaving enough room so they do not touch.
Sprinkle them with the olive oil and a little salt and pepper.
Roll the vegetables gently to coat them with the seasonings.

3. Roast for 6 to 8 minutes, or until the
asparagus is barely tender when pierced
with a knife
(you should hear them sizzling).
Turn on the broiler and broil for about 2 minutes.
The scallions should have some browned leaves and
the asparagus should pick up color.
If some of the pieces are browning faster, feel free to pull them out and
set them aside to wait for the other pieces to finish.

4. Pile the vegetables on a platter, and zigzag the dressing over them.
Sprinkle with the chives, and serve.