[CnD] Tips on cooking steaks?

Katie Chandler kchandler2005 at sbcglobal.net
Sat Jun 11 02:19:51 GMT 2011

Hi Carlos,

I looked this chart up on the net and it has all different type of steaks
and thickness' of them with a time chart for cooking them rare, med.,and
well done.  I hope this will help you some.  However it  did not say which
way, broiled, out door grill, frying or what. I will try to find some thing
better on how long depending on how you are cooking them. The chart follows
below.

Blessings,  Katie

                              Steak Cooking Guide

Fillet Mignon

Considered the "Queen of Steaks", the Fillet Mignon is from the heart  of
the tenderloin.  This mild flavored cut is so tender, it can often be  cut
with a fork.

Suggested cooking times for steaks 1-1.5" thick

Very Rare 4-5 minutes
Rare 5-6 minutes
Medium Rare 6-8 minutes
Medium 7-10 minutes
Well Done Not Recommended

Suggested cooking times for steaks 1.75-2" thick

Very Rare 5-6 minutes
Rare 6-8 minutes
Medium Rare 8-10 minutes
Medium 10-12 minutes
Well Done Not Recommended

Ribeye Steak

Cut from the heart of the Prime Rib, this tender steak is highly
flavorful and marvelously juicy.

Suggested cooking times for steaks 1" thick

Very Rare 4-5 minutes
Rare 5-6 minutes
Medium Rare 6-8 minutes
Medium 7-10 minutes
Well Done Not Recommended

Sirloin Steak

Cut from the loin, the Sirloin Steak has a robust taste and texture.

Suggested cooking times for steaks .75 - 1.25" thick

Very Rare 5-6 minutes
Rare 7-8 minutes
Medium Rare 8-12 minutes
Medium 12-16 minutes
Well Done Not Recommended

New York Strip

Known as the "King of Steaks", this tender and flavorful Sirloin Strip steak
is trimmed and cut from the heart of the loin.

Suggested cooking times for steaks 1.25 - 1.5" thick

Very Rare 4-5 minutes
Rare 5-6 minutes
Medium Rare 6-8 minutes
Medium 7-10 minutes
Well Done Not Recommended

Porterhouse Steak

This extra heavy cut is a combination of a Fillet Mignon and a juicy  New
York Strip.

Suggested cooking times for steaks 1.25" thick

Very Rare 6-8 minutes
Rare 8-9 minutes
Medium Rare 9-12 minutes
Medium 12-15 minutes
Well Done Not Recommended

T-Bone Steak

This generous cut is a slightly smaller version of the Porterhouse.