[CnD] Pineapple upside down cake
annagalassi at sasktel.net
Mon Jun 20 18:35:01 GMT 2011
Pineapple Upside Down Cake
Yield: 12 servings
2 tablespoons stick margarine
2 tablespoons firmly packed brown sugar
4 slices water-packed canned pineapple, drained
2 maraschino cherries, cut in half
1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1-1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
5 tablespoons stick margarine, softened
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup low-fat (1%) milk
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In an 8x8 inch baking pan, over low heat, melt the margarine.
3. Remove from the heat and stir in the brown sugar.
4. Place the pineapple slices on the sugar mixture, centering the slices closely in the center of the pan so all the pieces are touching.
5. Place a cherry half in the center of each pineapple slice.
6. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
7. In another medium bowl, with an electric mixer at medium speed, beat the margarine and granulated sugar until blended, about 1 minute.
8. Add the egg and vanilla and continue beating until smooth, about 30 seconds.
9. The batter will be thin.
10. Add the flour mixture to the batter in thirds, alternating with milk, blending
until smooth, 2 minutes.
11. Spoon the batter on top of the pineapple mixture and spread evenly.
12. Bake until golden brown, about 25-35 minutes.
13. Unmold by sliding a thin knife around the cake, pressing against the pan.
14. Invert onto a cake plate.
15. Serve warm.
More information about the Cookinginthedark