[CnD] Family swiss steak
annagalassi at sasktel.net
Thu Jun 23 16:44:05 GMT 2011
?Family Swiss Steak
Makes 6 servings
2 tablespoons (18 g) unbleached all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) crushed dried thyme
1/4 teaspoon (1.25 ml) sweet paprika
1 1/2 pounds (720 g) boneless beef round steak, cut 1 inch (2.5 cm) thick
1 tablespoon (15 ml) Worcestershire sauce
canola oil cooking spray
1 large garlic clove, peeled and thinly sliced
2 medium celery ribs, thinly sliced
2 medium onions, peeled and thinly sliced
4 medium plum tomatoes, thinly sliced
1/2 cup (120 ml) reduced-sodium canned beef broth
1. In a small bowl, combine flour, thyme, and paprika. Using a pastry brush, brush steak pieces with Worcestershire sauce. Dredge in flour mixture.
2. Lightly coat a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray. Place on stove over medium-high heat. Add steak pieces and brown on both sides, about 5 minutes per side.
3. Transfer steak pieces to a 3-quart (3-liter) or larger crockery slow cook. Top with garlic slices, celery, onions, and tomatoes. Pour beef broth over
the top. Do not stir.
4. Cover and cook on low for 8 to 10 hours or on high for 4 to 5 hours.
5. To serve, transfer steak pieces and vegetables to a heated serving platter. Spoon any pan juices over the top and serve at once.
More information about the Cookinginthedark