[CnD] Chicken and rice casserole
annagalassi at sasktel.net
Fri Jun 24 20:42:47 GMT 2011
CHICKEN AND RICE CASSEROLE
Yield: 7 servings
2 teaspoons canola oil
1 (3-1/2 pound) chicken, cut up and skinned
1 medium onion, finely chopped
4 stalks celery, finely chopped
1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
1 medium zucchini, diced
3 cups cooked brown or white rice
1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
1/2 cup fat-free sour cream
2 teaspoons fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
1 tablespoon plain dried bread crumbs
1/4 teaspoon paprika
1. In a large nonstick skillet, heat 1 teaspoon of the oil.
2. Cook chicken in two batches until it is lightly browned on both sides,
about 10 minutes.
3. Transfer the chicken to a plate; keep warm.
4. Remove all but 1 teaspoon of the liquid from the skillet.
5. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
6. Spray a 9x13-inch casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray.
7. Return the skillet to the heat and cook the onion and celery, stirring as needed, until the onion is translucent, about 8 minutes.
8. Add the mushrooms and zucchini; continue cooking until the mushrooms release and reabsorb their juices, about 5 minutes.
9. Stir in the rice, broth, sour cream, thyme, pepper, and allspice; spread the mixture evenly in the bottom of the prepared casserole dish.
10. Top with the chicken in a single layer.
11. Cover with foil and bake 15 minutes.
12. Meanwhile, in a small bowl with a fork, stir together the bread crumbs, the remaining teaspoon oil, and the paprika.
13. Uncover the chicken and sprinkle evenly with the bread crumb mixture.
14. Return to the oven and bake, uncovered, until the chicken is cooked through and the juices run clear, about 25 minutes.
More information about the Cookinginthedark