[CnD] In Reply To: A Quick Intro

Nicole Massey nyyki at gypsyheir.com
Mon Jun 27 16:01:51 GMT 2011

For pancakes I use a large griddle, not a frying pan. I have a Circulon
griddle that covers two burners and also a single burner square one.

I use the following size measurements for pancakes:

Silver Dollar Pancakes: Small, under two inches (5.08 centimeters) in
diameter
Hotcakes or Griddle Cakes: 2-3 inches (5.8cm-8.4cm) in diameter
Pancakes: Up to 6 inches (15.24cm)
Flapjacks: over the size of a pancake

Get your griddle nice and hot. Take your mixed dough and measure it to the
size you desire. I've only made hotcake sized ones, and about a half a cup
seems to do the trick. Make it a very full half a cup. Pour the batter onto
the griddle and set the timer. (This seems to vary with your stove, so
you'll need a sighted assistant for the first time) When the edges start to
bubble check the timer and use this as your guide. It doesn't take long.

I just had a thought -- this might get a lot easier with this idea. Instead
of cooking on your griddle, it should be possible to place a cake pan on the
griddle and put the pancake like object in that instead. Grease it, of
course, and you might want a couple of them. Pour the batter in the cake pan
after checking it's hot enough by sprinkling a bit of water in the pan, then
when your timer goes off flip the pancake category object onto the griddle
by overturning the cake pan. (Ov-Gloves or those new mitts Blind Mice Mart
advertized recently on Dale's show will make this much easier to do) And you
can probably find a nice selection of different sized cake pans at a well
stocked thrift store, too.

On the topic of egg rings, they're great. Though mine are just non-stick
rings, my step-mom had ones with wooden handles sticking up on a rod, and
these would be better for those with difficulties in orientation. I use mine
for egg sandwiches -- scrambled, as I have an issue with intact yolks in
anything.