[CnD] strawberry bread: Strawberry Nut Bread

Helen Whitehead hwhitehead at cogeco.ca
Mon Jun 27 20:46:39 GMT 2011

Strawberry Nut Bread

Move over banana bread, here's a tasty fruit bread that will compete for top
honors.

1 bag (16 oz) frozen whole strawberries, thawed, drained
2 cups sugar
1 1/4 cups vegetable oil
4 eggs
3 cups Gold Medal® all-purpose flour
3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup chopped nuts

1.
Heat oven to 350°F. Grease bottoms only of two 9x5- or 8x4-inch loaf pans
with shortening; lightly flour.
2.
Slightly mash strawberries; set aside. In large bowl, mix sugar and oil.
Stir in eggs until well blended. Stir in strawberries until well mixed. Stir
in
remaining ingredients except nuts just until moistened. Stir in nuts. Pour
into pans.
3.
Bake 1 hour to 1 hour 10 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes
out clean. Cool 10 minutes. Loosen sides of loaves from pans; remove from
pans
to wire rack. Cool completely, about 2 hours, before slicing. Wrap tightly
and store at room temperature up to 4 days, or refrigerate up to 10 days.

Tips from the Kitchen

Special Touch
Top off slices of this berry bread with a dollop of whipped cream and a
spoonful of strawberry jam.