[CnD] classic white cake

Shannon Wells oldtimechristian at gmail.com
Thu Jun 30 23:17:02 GMT 2011

Classic White Cake

12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened

1 1/2 cups sugar

2 cups all purpose flour

2 teaspoons baking  powder

1/4 teaspoon salt

6 large egg  whites (3/4 cup)

3/4 cup milk

2 teaspoons vanilla  extract

Directions

Set rack at the middle level in the oven and preheat to 350 degrees.

Butter the bottom of two 9-inch round or one 13 by 9 by 2-inch pan. Line bottom with

parchment or waxed paper.

In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar for about 5 minutes, until light and fluffy.

Stir together flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside. Combine egg whites, milk

and vanilla extract. Add 1/3 of the flour mixture to the butter mixture then add

half the milk mixture. Continue to alternate beginning and ending with flour mixture.

Scape the bowl and beater often.

Pour the batter into prepared pan(s) and smooth top with metal spatula. Bake cake(s)

about 25 to 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center emerges clean.

Cool in pan on rack for 5 minutes, then turn out onto a rack, remove paper and let

cool completely.

Note: For a classic yellow cake- Substitute 3 large eggs and 1 yolk for the egg whites.

Shannon's notes: I made this once in a metal pan, and I found out I like the taste better if it's made in a glass one. Also, for some odd reason, this cake turns out more spongey like. I don't know if it is the egg whites or not, but I don't like it as well as I had hoped. It seems a bit dry, as well.
Shannon Wells