[CnD] thoughts about cakes and icings

Shannon Wells OLDTIMECHRISTIAN at gmail.com
Thu Jun 30 23:30:51 GMT 2011

Once, I made the white cake and used the all purpose icing on top. The icing was a bit runny, so I sprinkled coconut on top of that. Everyone loved it.

I also use another recipe for icing, and I will post it here. It's my own made up kind, though, so I can't give exact measurements. You'll have to play around like I do. LOL

Cake Icing
Start off small with
2 cups of powdered or confectioner's sugar
dash of salt
1/4 cup crisco
vanilla, just dribble some in and taste later adding more if desired
3 to 4 tbsps of milk

Mix well with a hand mixer, or at least, that's what I do. Adjust amounts of sugar, milk and salt, according to taste and the consistancy you want. It should be like the butter cream icing you get on cakes from a bakery, but better, cause you're making it.

Now, about spreading icing.
I use one of those spatula things that are rubbery on the end. I dip some out of the bowl with it and drop carefully on cake. Oh, before i forget, put your cooled cake in the freezer for about 2 hours. The top hardens and makes spreading icing easier. Ok, so drop dollops of icing on cold cake. When you have 3 or 4 blobs, start spreading carefully, by a back and forth motion with the flat part of the spatula. Think of it as spreading peanut butter on your PB& J sandwich, sort of. Go easy, lightly touch cake. Can use fingers, but touch easy, pretending it's a hot pot on the stove. LOL
When you have the cake pretty much cover, get more icing out of bowl and keep going. Practice makes perfect. The last time I did this, my 5 year old said she didn't see any finger prints. Just touch real easy. Then, when it's all covered and you've been at it so long you're ready for a nap, take a damp paper towel or dish cloth and carefully wipe edges of pan free from icing.

Hope this helps.
Shannon Wells