[CnD] INFO ON CAREMBOLLA (STAR) FRUIT

Dale cookinginthedark at att.net
Tue Feb 7 00:22:53 GMT 2012

THE REAL NAME OF STAR FRUIT IS CAREMBOLLA FRUIT.
WHEN SLICED, IT LOOKS LIKE A STAR.
THIS GROWS IN ST CROIX, US VIRGIN ISLANDS. I HAVE PICKED AND EATEN
ALONG THE ROADSIED WHILE VACATIONING IN ST CROIX.
IT WAS VERY REFRESHING WITH A SLIGHT CITRUS FLAVOR.
Here is more info about it:
Carambola (Star Fruit)
Scientific Binomial Name: Averrhoa carambola
Information
Usage: Eaten fresh, in salads & juiced. Tart variety is used in jams.

  Also called Star fruit, good-quality Carambola is fairly firm, and
the skin will be yellow with no green tinges. Slight browning along the edges
is normal. There are two varieties - sweet and tart.

Avoid: Avoid product that is soft, blemished or has excessive
browning along the edges.

Seasonal Information
Available August through February. Production is centered in Florida,
the Caribbean, Hawaii and California.

Carambola (Star Fruit) Nutritional Information

table with 2 columns and 14 rows
Serving Size: 1 cup (132g), cubed

Amount Per Serving

Calories 41

Calories from Fat 4

% Daily Value*

Total Fat 0g

1%

Cholesterol 0mg

0%

Sodium 3mg

0%

Total Carbohydrate 9g

3%

Dietary Fiber 4g

15%

Sugars 5g

Protein 1g

Vitamin A 2%

Vitamin C 76%

Calcium 0%

Iron 1%

*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily
values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.

Source: PMA's Labeling Facts
table end

Carambola is very low in Saturated Fat, Cholesterol and Sodium. It's
also a good source of Pantothenic Acid and Potassium, and a great
source of Dietary
Fiber, Vitamin C and Copper.