[CnD] Recipe Request

marilyn deweese mldeweese15511 at frontier.com
Wed Feb 15 15:56:14 GMT 2012

Quick and Dirty Meat Sauce

1 pound ground beef
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp dried basil
1 tsp dried oregano
1/4 cup dried parsley
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
28-ounce can pureed tomatoes
15-ounce can tomato sauce
1/4 cup white or red wine
Parmesan cheese, grated, for topping

Brown the ground beef with the onion and garlic in a large saucepan, then
drain any excess fat. Remember not to dump it down your sink! I always keep
a couple of cleaned cans (from easy stuff to clean like tomato sauce) under
my sink and pour any fat into there.

Add the basil, oregano, parsley, salt and pepper and stir in, cooking for
another minute or so.

Add the tomato puree, tomato sauce, and wine. Stir in and bring to a simmer.
Simmer uncovered for 15 minutes or longer. If it simmers a long time, it
might get a bit thick. Add some liquid (more wine or just water) to thin it
out a bit but I do think it tastes better if it simmers longer.

If you're having company and want to make the sauce ahead of time and let it
simmer longer while you visit with friends, just leave it on very low heat
and check it now and then. Add more liquid or cover it after 10 minutes or
so, then uncover it when you put the pasta in the water. This can also be
made a few days ahead and kept in the refrigerator and made a few weeks or
months ahead and frozen.

Serve over your favorite pasta and top with some grated Parmesan cheese.
Enjoy.  From Tamara.