[CnD] Penne with Kale and Onion

Rhonda Scott earthmagic7 at sbcglobal.net
Sun Feb 19 18:19:00 GMT 2012

Penne with Kale and Onion

“I love kale; my husband hates it. But when I swapped it into a favorite penne-with-spinach recipe, it was so delicious, he asked for seconds!” Kimberly Hammond - Kingwood, TX

Prep: 15 min.
Cook: 20 min.
Yield: 6 Servings

Ingredients

1 medium onion, sliced
2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
8 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
3 cups uncooked penne pasta
6 cups chopped fresh kale
1/2 teaspoon salt

Directions

In a large skillet, cook onion in 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat for 15-20 minutes or until onion is golden brown, stirring frequently and adding the garlic during the last 2 minutes of cooking time.

Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, cook penne according to package directions. In a Dutch oven, bring 1 in. of water to a boil. Add kale; cover and cook for 10-15 minutes or until tender; drain.

Drain penne; drizzle with remaining oil. Stir the salt, penne and kale into the onion mixture; heat through.

Yield: 6 servings.

Nutritional Facts 3/4 cup equals 191 calories, 5 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 206 mg sodium, 31 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 6 g protein.
Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.

Originally published as Penne with Kale and Onion in Healthy Cooking August/September 2009, p44