[CnD] Softening butter

Dena Polston dpolston4 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 20 02:48:28 GMT 2012

On 2/19/12, Allison Fallin <afallin at cox.net> wrote:
> Hello,
> I'd like suggestions about softening butter.  I use soft
> margarine, but my husband likes butter.  Usually I use the Land O
> Lakes butter that is spreadable right from the fridge, but we
> were given some regular butter by friends who got it free and
> don't use butter.  I know it can't be left out or it will get
> rancid, but it's way too hard to spread right out of the fridge.
> I nuked it for 20 seconds, and it softened, but some of it
> melted, which wasn't what I had in mind.  Other than doing it for
> slightly less time, does anyone have any suggestions?
>    Allison Fallin

This is Dena from Indiana. I leave mine (one stick) in a butter dish
and it gets eaten before it goes rancid. I just freeze the rest of the
sticks until they are needed. Maybe you're in a warmer climate and
can't do that. Maybe you could open the stick and put it in something
in the fridge. Maybe that would be soft enough.