[CnD] cooking egg plant

Jean Marcley jmarcley at juno.com
Wed Feb 22 01:43:44 GMT 2012

Not a stupid question.
If I have garden fresh eggplant, I don't peel it - store bought I do.  Older
eggplant tends to be a little bitter in the skin.

You can peel it, slice it in rounds, then slice them to make strips.  Then
cook them in some olive oil slowly until tender, maybe 5 minutes (depending
upon how thick they are) and serve them as a side dish.
I have never used it in lasagna.
I have made this, though.
Eggplant Parmesan
slice eggplant about 1/4 inch thick
dip in beaten eggs then in Italian flavored bread crumbs (I use Progresso)
place them on a baking sheet with a generous amount of oil on it; turn the
slices to coat thoroughly with oil and bake at 400 degrees F for about 10
minutes, turn and bake another 5 minutes or so.  At this point, try not to
eat them all before you make the rest of this dish (smile)
Put some spaghetti sauce (yours or from a jar or can) in the bottom of a 9 x
13 inch baking dish
place a layer of eggplant slices in the pan.
top with Ricotta cheese (you can mix this up with Parmesan cheese and an egg
if you like, but you don't have to)
Place either slices or shredded Mozzerella cheese on that, a little more
sauce, and another layer of eggplant slices.
Do this until the baking pan is full and the top layer is eggplant.
Bake at 350 about 30 minutes or until bubbly.
You can add some chopped spinach to this dish also.   add it to the ricotta
cheese so it comes out even.
You can also put it in the refrigerator, covered, for a day before you bake
it.  Add about 10 minutes to baking time.
I bake it uncovered.