[CnD] chocolate pudding from corn starch

Nancy Martin nm72539 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 3 18:53:17 EST 2015

Hi everyone,
I remember using twice as much flour instead of cornstarch. If the following
doesn't make sense, I apologize. Let me know and I'll look for something
that can be copied more successfully.
Nancy

Cornstarch is used to thicken liquids in a variety of recipes such as
sauces, gravies, pies, puddings, and stir-fries. It can be replaced with
flour, arrowroot, potato starch, tapioca, and even instant mashed potato
granules. The ingredient you are most likely to have on hand, of course, is
flour, so we'll start with that.
When you want 1 cup of liquid to be fairly thick, it takes 1 tablespoon of
cornstarch. (A stir-fry sauce might use only 1-2 teaspoons per cup of
liquid). It will take about 3 tablespoons of flour to replace 1 tablespoon
of cornstarch, and you will need to cook the sauce for much longer to get
rid of the raw flavor of the flour. Flour is a very stable thickener, but
will not result in the same glossy shine that cornstarch produces.

Arrowroot, on the other hand, makes a beautifully shiny sauce and may be
substituted in an equal or slightly greater amount, but will need to be
cooked a little longer than cornstarch.