[CnD] Sugar's Tamale Pie

Regina Marie reginamariemusic at gmail.com
Mon Mar 9 18:12:16 EDT 2015

I made this this past weekend. I put medium salsa over it. I think next time wil will do hal tomato sauce, half salsa or add a green chile chopped finely to saute with the meat and veggies to give it a little spice. I'm sure those that like muy caliente (very spicy) can adjust the recipe accordingly.

I also made my own cornbread instead of buying juffy:

1 cup cornmeal
 4 cups self-rising flour, (gold metal makes one)
2 eggs
4 cups buttermilk or pour 1 tablespoon vinegar into 1 cup of the milk and the other 3 cups just fresh milk
1 stick melted butter or one half cup melted margarine
Throw all ingredients into a bowl except melted fat and combine well with a wooden spoon or large fork. Scrape the sides of the bowl but no need to use an electric mixer because it mixes up quickly. Stir in melted fat. You can use in the tamale pie recipe as directed just like Jiffy or to make true southern style cornbread, before beginning, put a cast iron skillet into the oven to heat with the butter/margarine in it to melt at 350 degrees. (I do it while preheating the oven.) When fat is melted tilt the pan to all sides so the whole pan is coated with the melted fat. You can brush the sides to coat if you like that option or are afraid of burning yourself. Pour remaining melted fat into batter and follow above instructions. Pour all into skillet (make sure it's deep enough) and bake for 20-25 minutes at 350 degrees.

*smile*
Regina Marie
Phone: 916-877-4320
Email: reginamariemusic at gmail.com