[CnD] My weekend of cooking with recipes

Mike and Jenna schwaltze at gmail.com
Mon Jun 1 09:39:36 EDT 2015

hi,

This weekend I did lots of cooking starting with Friday. I will post each
recipe and will add my knots to the recipe.

Friday night I made Pork chops.

I took two bone in pork chops Friday morning and slit lines into them. Then
in a Zip block bag I measured out

1/4 vegetable oil
2 tbsp vinegar
a few drops hot sauce
a few drops soy sauce
and a big clump of bbq sauce

I put the chops in the bag and moved them around and refrigerated them all
day. Then I got out my cast iron skillet and put 2 tbsp vegetable oil in
there and sired them on both sides to brown them and transferred them to my
broiler pan and broiled them on hi for about 9-10 minutes a side as they
were thick. I served them with sidekicks as I was tired from catering ball
day.

Saturday

I made rib and potine
spice rub will follow with substitutions

Serves 6 to 8

What You Need

Ingredients
4 to 5 pounds spare ribs or baby back ribs
 1/4 cup Dijon mustard
 2 teaspoons liquid smoke (optional)
 1 cup spice rub, like this one
1 cup barbecue sauce, store-bought or homemade

Equipment
Baking sheet
 Aluminum foil
 Wire cooling rack
 Pastry Brush
 Knife

Instructions
1. Prepare the baking sheet: Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and set
a cooling rack on top. Lay the ribs on top of the rack in a single layer.
This arrangement allows for heat circulations on all sides of the ribs.
2. Season the ribs: Mix the mustard and the liquid smoke, if using, and
brush the ribs on both sides. Sprinkle the ribs with the dry rub and pat
gently to make sure the rub adheres to the rib meat. Note: This step can be
done the day ahead for a deeper flavor. Wrap the seasoned ribs in plastic
wrap and refrigerate.
3. Broil the ribs: Heat the broiler and place an oven rack a few inches
below the heating element. Make sure the meaty side of the ribs is facing
up. Broil the ribs for about 5 minutes, until the sugar in the dry rub is
bubbling and the ribs are evenly browned.
4. Bake the ribs: Set the oven to 300°F. Move the ribs to an oven rack in
the middle of the oven. Roast for 2 1/2 to 3 hours for spare ribs or 1 1/2
to 2 hours for baby back ribs. Halfway through cooking, cover the ribs with
aluminum foil to protect them from drying out.
5. Brush with barbecue sauce: About 30 minutes before the end of cooking,
brush the ribs with barbecue sauce, re-cover with foil, and finish cooking.
6. Rest the ribs and serve: The ribs are done when a knife slides easily
into the thickest part of the rib meat. Let them rest, covered, for about 10
minutes, and then cut between the bones to separate the individual ribs.
Serve immediately with extra bbq sauce.

dry rub I used

What You Need

Ingredients
 2 cups brown sugar (see notes below)
 1/2 cup paprika
 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons granulated garlic
 1/4 cup granulated onion
 1/4 cup kosher salt
 1/4 cup black pepper
 1/4 cup cumin
 1/8 cup ancho or chipotle  I could not find ancho or chipotle so used a bit
of texmex and Cajon to get the flavor we wanted.
 1/4 cup mustard powder
 1/8 cup cayenne pepper

Equipment
 Whisk (optional)
 Large Bowl
 Zip Top Bag
 Plastic Wrap (for meat prep)

Instructions

1. Gather Ingredients
 Since there's no oven or complicated procedure involved in the making of
this rub, the assembly of everything is key. Forgetting one ingredient can
make things taste a little off, so make sure everyone (spice wise rather) is
in attendance!

2. Measure
 Measure ingredients into prep bowls. We usually mix them into smaller bowls
before adding them to the large bowl, just in case we measure incorrectly
it's easier to rectify.

3. Mix
 Add all spices to your large bowl and add brown sugar. Combine with a
whisk, or toss all ingredients into a large zip top bag and shake, shake,
shake!

4. To Use
 Rub your mixture into the piece of meat which you'll be using. We suggest
this rub on anything that once had legs. Don't be afraid of it getting
messy, that's a given, just get it in all nooks and crannies including bony
or fatty parts.

5. Wrap In Plastic
 Wrap your meat in plastic for at least an hour, up to a day and let things
mingle. Although you can grill, broil or bake things immediately, the longer
the rub sits on the meat the more flavor will develop further into it. This
can keep up to 72 hours if needs be, but is best right around the 24 hour
mark! Enjoy!

Additional Notes:
 There are as many dry rubs out there as there are hairs on your head. This
is just a base mixture to get you started. If you like different things,
feel free to adjust it to suit your tastes. You can also play around with
the types of sugar in the mixture combining brown, white, turbinado and
more!

The potine I just deep fried some French fries and added potine gravy and
cheese curds.

Sunday

I made a shrimp salad.

I satayed the shrimp in homade garlic butter then dumped the shrimp garlic
butter and all into a big bowl minced more garlic a bit of onions and some
ground black pepper and added noodles and when it cooled chunks of old
cheddar. I used the dry rub and the deson mustard to make a stake last night
and it all turned out great.