[CnD] Apple pie request

Penny Reeder penny.reeder at gmail.com
Fri Jun 26 09:14:28 EDT 2015

Hi, This is how I make apple pie.

Peel, core, and dice 6-8 apples (enough to fill your pie dish).

Line 9-inch pie dish with bottom crust. Pour in apples. Squeeze the
juice of 1/2 lemon over the apples.

Combine these ingredients in small bowl: 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1/4 cup
white sugar, 2 tsp. ground cinnamon, 1/2 tsp. freshly grated nutmeg,
1/2-to-1 tsp. ground ginger (or grated fresh ginger if desired), 1/2
tsp. of salt, and 2 TBSP. flour.  Work in 1/4 cup (that's half a
stick) of sweet butter. When combined, crumble the mixture on top of
apples in pie dish.

Cover the apples and filling with a second crust.

Cut several slits into the crust so steam can escape while pie bakes.

Bake at 425 degrees F. for 15 minutes. Then reduce oven temperature to
350 and continue baking for 45 minutes.

Serve with a scoop of vanilla or cinnamon ice cream and enjoy!

p.s., I like to use Granny Smith apples, or a combination of whatever
apples we happen to have -- just make sure that most of the apples you
use for your pie are good "cooking apples!"

Penny
 ginger

On 6/26/15, Blaine Deutscher via Cookinginthedark