[CnD] barbecued chicken thoughts

Jennifer Chambers jennilee99 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 7 21:33:22 EDT 2015

You can most definitely add barbecue sauce before baking it in the
oven, and before turning on the slow-cooker.  Most often, I bake it
rather than do the slow-cooker, simply because I like it better that
way.  You don't need to add water in either case; I never have.  I
season the chicken well with Spike or Seasoned salt, Seasoned pepper,
onion powder, and granulated garlic.  I then slather it with barbecue
sauce, making sure each piece is well-coated.  When baking it in the
oven, I add a very light coating of Italian breadcrumbs.  This gives
the skin a slightly crispy texture.  If you make it a thick coating,
you just get mushy breadcrumbs, and it's fairly awful!  350 or 400
degrees for one hour is fine.  In the Crockpot, it usually takes about
six hours or so.  The amount of chicken you want to put in the
Crockpot is fine, as a Crockpot is designed to cook through layers of
food.

hth

Jennifer

On 9/7/15, Becky McCullough via Cookinginthedark