[CnD] Polenta

Becky McCullough misscoffee at neb.rr.com
Fri Nov 20 09:28:29 EST 2015

What is polenta?
Becky
----- Original Message -----
From: "Penny Reeder via Cookinginthedark" <cookinginthedark at acbradio.org>
To: <cookinginthedark at acbradio.org>; "Anna" <annagalassi at sasktel.net>
Sent: Thursday, November 19, 2015 9:18 AM
Subject: Re: [CnD] Polenta

Hi Anna, Here are a bunch of recipes for polenta. I've made them all,
and they all work beautifully -- and my family loves polenta! I hope
your friend enjoys these.
Penny
Creamy Polenta from Marcella Hazan
yield
Makes 4 servings
 active time
 10 min
 total time
 45 min
Cooking the polenta covered allows condensation to build up, which
eliminates the
need for constant stirring. And you can still count on the creamy
consistency you've
come to expect from this dish.
Ingredients
4 cups water
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup polenta (not quick-cooking) or yellow cornmeal (5 ounces)
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
Preparation
 Bring water and salt to a boil in a 3-quart heavy saucepan, then add
polenta in
a thin stream, whisking. Cook over moderate heat, whisking, 2 minutes.
Reduce heat
to low and cover pan, then cook at a bare simmer, stirring with a
long-handled spoon
for 1 minute after every 10 minutes of cooking, 45 minutes total.
Remove from heat
and whisk in butter until incorporated.
 Serve polenta warm.
Cooks' note:
 • Polenta can be made 20 minutes ahead and kept, covered, at room
temperature (do
not let stand longer, or it will solidify).

Polenta Facile
>From Food 52!
Serves 8
1 tablespoon salt
2 cups polenta (not instant)
Using only the top half of a double boiler, bring 2 quarts of water to
a boil, and
add salt. Meanwhile, put as much water in the bottom half of the
double boiler as
will be needed to actually cover the bottom of the top part of the double
boiler
when it is finally put in, and bring to a heavy simmer. (Note: If you don't
have
a double boiler, you can use a large pot with a slightly smaller bowl or pot
set
inside it.)
Put the polenta in a measuring cup from which you can pour it. With a
slender but
sturdy wooden spoon or a medium-strength whisk, create a vortex in the
water in the
top half of the double boiler by swirling it in one direction only.
This is critical
because, if you simply slosh the water around, you create lumps in the
polenta that
are almost impossible to remove. (If you do get lumps, don't worry --
just mash them
against the side of the pot now.)
While the water is swirling in a vortex, drizzle in the polenta a
pioggia (like it
is raining). You can do this very rapidly, but do not stop stirring.
When all the
polenta is in, continue to stir but not so energetically. Keep
stirring the whole
time, being sure to scrape into the corners of the pot where the sides
meet the bottom.
Lower the heat so that the polenta intermittently bubbles on the
surface and "spits"
at you.
Continue to stir the polenta for about 5 minutes. When the polenta
begins to thicken,
place the lid on the pan, and fit it into the bottom half of the
double boiler (with
the simmering water below reaching up as high as possible underneath
the top piece).
If you don't have a well-fitting lid, seal with foil. Cook for about 1
1/2 hours,
stirring every 30 minutes or so. Taste for doneness. The polenta
should be very yellow,
smooth, shiny, and sweet tasting. If it is slightly bitter, cook it longer.
Polenta facile can be held in a slowly simmering double boiler in
perfect condition
for up to 4 hours. This makes it ideal for large parties or when you
simply do not
want too many last-minute dishes to worry about.

Oven Baked Polenta
3/4 cup cornmeal
3 cups water
1-1/4 tsp kosher or sea salt
1/8 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup light cream

2 tbsp butter
1 tsp fresh marjoram or 1/2 tsp dried (I use herb d' Provence i used
herb d' province

Preheat oven to 425F.

In lidded baking dish, whisk together cornmeal, water, salt and
pepper. Bake in oven, covered, for 30 minutes, stirring halfway
through. Remove from oven, add milk, butter and marjoram and whisk
until smooth. Serve at once.

Makes 4 servings.

Oven Baked Polenta
3/4 cup cornmeal
3 cups water
1-1/4 tsp kosher or sea salt
1/8 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup light cream

2 tbsp butter
1 tsp fresh marjoram or 1/2 tsp dried (I use herb d' Provence i used
herb d' province

Preheat oven to 425F.

In lidded baking dish, whisk together cornmeal, water, salt and
pepper. Bake in oven, covered, for 30 minutes, stirring halfway
through. Remove from oven, add milk, butter and marjoram and whisk
until smooth. Serve at once.

Makes 4 servings.

Microwave Polenta with Spinach and Cheese
1. Combine in microwave-safe bowl: 3 cups water,
1 1/3 cups cornmeal,
1 Tbsp. sugar,
1/2 tsp. salt,
1 cup milk,
1 small onion, diced,
1 Tbsp. olive oil,
Grated Parmesan cheese, to taste.

2. Microwave, uncovered, on high (full) power for 8 minutes.  Stir well.

3. Cover slightly, and microwave for 6 minutes more.

4. Stir in one package, thawed frozen, chopped spinach, one fourth at a
time.

5. Cover again, and microwave for three minutes more.

6. Keep covered for an additional three minutes.  Spoon onto serving
platter in an attractive ring.

7. Serve with plain tomato sauce, or with mushroom-tomato sauce, and
pass additional grated parmesan cheese.

POLENTA/CORNMEAL MUSH

2 to 4 tablespoons butter, melted

1/4 teaspoon paprika

Dash cayenne pepper

6 cups boiling water

2 cups cornmeal (preferably water ground)

1 teaspoon salt

            Use 1 tablespoon butter to lightly grease walls of
Crock-Pot. Add paprika and cayenne. Turn to High while measuring
remaining ingredients. Add to Crock-Pot with remaining melted butter;
stir well. Cover and cook on Low for 6 to 9 hours or on High for 2 to
3 hours, stirring occasionally. Serves 8 to 10.

            FRIED POLENTA OR CORNMEAL MUSH: Pour hot cornmeal into 2
lightly greased loaf pans. Chill overnight. To serve, cut into
3/4-inch slices and fry in butter until browned.