[CnD] Question: what can the blind do in a restaurant?

Parham Doustdar parham90 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 4 05:10:27 EST 2015

Hi,

As a programmer, I started programming before I even knew my
limitations. I didn't know what the blind can and cannot do when it
comes to programming, and I frankly didn't care: programming was fun and
I did it, and that was all that mattered.

However, when it comes to food-related stuff, for most stuff, you need
to get training, and you need to know what you can do better than
others, and what you're not so good at, and what you definitely cannot
do, so that you can do what is called "targeted learning", where you
slim down what you're going to learn to what you will absolutely need,
and go for them.

My spouse who is completely blind likes to one day own a restaurant.
Even if she doesn't achieve this goal, she enjoys reading about food,
learning how to cook, and so on. I've read that there are blind
restaurant owners and chefs and so on, and this email is for those people.

Since you guys are much more experienced at this than I am, can you help
her decide what to learn? What positions in a restaurant are
blind-friendly, to coin a term?

Best,
Parham