[CnD] Question: what can the blind do in a restaurant?

Becky McCullough misscoffee at neb.rr.com
Sat Dec 5 17:55:44 EST 2015

Do you sell gourmet coffee?
Becky
----- Original Message -----
From: "Gerry Leary via Cookinginthedark" <cookinginthedark at acbradio.org>
To: <cookinginthedark at acbradio.org>; "Mike and Jenna" <schwaltze at gmail.com>
Sent: Saturday, December 05, 2015 8:13 AM
Subject: Re: [CnD] Question: what can the blind do in a restaurant?

Hello, I am Gerry Leary. I own the unseen bean coffee shop. It has two
locations. I roast all of the coffee for it. I can do most tasks in the
coffee shops well, and a few tasks clumsily. The tasks that I do clumsily or
ones that I don't do often and haven't learned well. I do come from a handy
background, because I was car mechanic for 40  years. I have been blind
since birth, and have no idea what vision is. The tasks that are difficult
for me to do in a coffee shop or things like spreading things on bread
smoothly picking up only one slice of Finley sliced meat. I do these things
with food gloves on because a it is a requirement, and be it gives the
people confidence in the cleanliness of our shops.

Sent from my iPhone this time

> On Dec 5, 2015, at 6:24 AM, Mike and Jenna via Cookinginthedark
> <cookinginthedark at acbradio.org> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I woulk in the restaurant filed. I find that their really isn't much she
> can not do. I found the only thing for me was decorating cakes and stuff.

 arily know The way that it might look the best. So, other people and assist
me with that. When our coffee shop is really really busy, I generally stay
away from the backside of the counter. I can be more productive talking to
people about how blind people roast coffee, what kind of adaptations we had
to make in the equipment so that I could use it, and anything about the rest
of the difficulties of being in the restaurant I would say, the most
difficult part about being a blind business person is all of the paperwork
necessary to carry it out. The accounting the taxes the invoicing the
receiving the shipping and anything else that you might think of that song
for you druther really needs a pair of eyes to make it an efficient process.
Therefore a lot of that work I have to buy. So in some ways it cost me more
as a blind person however, there are sighted people out there that just
can't add 2+17-5 because it just isn't something that they like to do there
are sighted people out there
  that don't even know what a screwdriver does. They just don't have it in
them, or they don't have the interest. So we're not really any worse off as
blind people. In my case I have to pay bookkeepers accountants secretaries
readers drivers and people to assist me in many of the restaurant processes.
Four instance I can function well if I label all of the bottles in the
refrigerator. I can function well if I label all of the meat containers.
That way I don't have to touch the insides of the container or smell the
bottle or take a taste for my glass. I can function well with the cash
register once I'm used to how it works. The one in my secondary store which
I'm at every day, is set up a little differently, and doesn't have as many
items on it. If you wish I would talk on the phone or through Skype as long
as you want, and you feel free to ask any questions that you wish. I have
had my coffee company since 2003.