[CnD] Butter Ball Kisses Cookies Recipe

Helen Whitehead hwhitehead at cogeco.ca
Tue Dec 8 11:40:47 EST 2015

    Butter Ball Kisses Cookies Recipe
Another "oldie but goodie" going back to the early 80's when my girls were
little
and I baked a lot of cookies - as did my mother, which is where I got this
recipe
from. My girls always loved the chocolate kiss atop the buttery cookie. This
cookie
does not have the peanut butter in the dough, like the Blossom cookies, but
are more
of a shortbread type cookie dough. You can "dress them up" by drizzling
melted white
or chocolate chips over the tops. I've also substituted the kiss with Andes
Mints
or a chocolate star - lots of variations possible with this basic shortbread
type
cookie dough....
Ingredients
* 1/2 pound butter, softened
* 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons brown sugar
* 1 and 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
* 2 1/4 cups flour
* about 36 chocolate kisses, wrappers removed
* white or crystallized sugar for dipping dough balls into
Directions
1. With wooden spoon, cream butter until fluffy.
2. Stir in sugar and extract, beating by hand to incorporate it into butter.
3. Stir in flour, mixing until well blended.
4. Batter will be very stiff.
5. Taking about 1 tablespoon of dough in your hand, squeeze it into a
compact mass,
and roll into a ball with the palms of your hands (balls should be about 1½"
in diameter).
6. Roll balls in sugar. then place them on ungreased cookie sheet and place
a kiss
or star in the middle of each, pressing it into the ball very lightly.
7. Bake at 350 degrees for 18 to 22 minutes, until cookie is just barely
browned
on the bottom and around edges.
8. Cool cookies on wire rack before storing in an airtight container.
9. NOTE: Good suggestion from Lasaf - use some of the delicious flavored
kisses available
these days...raspberry, caramel, mint...so many flavors, you could change
the flavor
of these little buttery cookies with each batch! Enjoy!