[CnD] Egg rolls

Nicole Massey nyyki at gypsyheir.com
Sat Dec 19 11:40:33 EST 2015

Hopefully this will help. Everything in Chinese cooking is cut up and prepared with lots of attention. The recipe below is one I got from a cookbook of Chinese recipes, and it should give you some useful preparation instructions. The legend for the ingredient sizes is after it. If you're interested in such things, the NLS has a book that showed up not too long ago on BARD called "Consider the Fork" and that deals with the history and effect on what we eat of various cooking utensils and tools. The section on knives has a fairly deep discussion about the different knife styles between Chinese and European food preparation and some interesting info on how that has affected us, even physically.
Here's the recipe and legend:
Title: Egg Rolls
 Categories: Chinese, Appetizers
   Servings: 10

      1 lb Chinese cabbage (Napa)
      2 ea stalks celery
      ½ lb cooked shrimp
      ½ lb cooked pork or chicken livers
      10 ea water chestnuts
      1/3  c bamboo shoots
      1 ts salt
      1 ts sugar
      1 ds pepper (Liberal )
      ½ ts light soy sauce
      ¼ ts sesame oil
      1 md beaten egg
     10 ea egg roll skins
      3  c  oil

PREPARATION: Boil cabbage and celery until very tender. Drain and squeeze
out excess water. Shred very fine and set aside to
drain further. Parboil shrimp and fry or bake pork. Mince both. Shred
water chestnuts and bamboo shoots. Mix all ingredients but egg together.
Beat egg. Wrap filling in egg roll skins and seal with egg.

COOKING: Heat oil in wok or deep fat fryer to 375 degrees and drop in egg
rolls. When skin turns light golden brown, remove from oil and drain. (At
this point restaurants refrigerate them and finish the cooking process as
needed.) When cool, drop again into hot oil and fry until golden brown.

Note: The two-stage deep frying method is actually a professional Chinese chefs'
secret. It assures that the inside will be moist and not overcooked (as
anything overcooked becomes dry) and the outside will be crisp.
 Source: The Food and Cooking Network (www.e-cookbooks.net)
-----
Legend of unit of measure codes
bn	bunch