[CnD] pancakes

Penny Reeder penny.reeder at gmail.com
Tue Mar 8 15:28:11 EST 2016

You can make pancakes on top of the stove in a skillet or flat
griddle, in an electric skillet (easier because you can bump your
spatula up against the sides of the skillet for easier maneuvering
when flipping the pancakes, or on an electric griddle. I prefer the
griddle.

You can't see when the top of the pancake is filled with bubbles, so
the easiest thing to do is to use a timer. With the griddle set on
medium high, ladle about a third of a cup of batter onto the buttered
griddle, then set your timer for 2 and a half minutes. When it beeps,
put your spatula underneath the pancake -- find it by memory or by
slowing edging the spatula along the bottom of the griddle until you
feel it -- slide the spatula under the pancake (If you touch the top
very quickly and carefully, you can feel how solid it is, or when you
pick it up on the spatula, it will feel solid), flip it over and cook
the other side for about a minute.

Practice will make perfect!

There's also some kind of electric appliance that cooks both sides of
the pancake at once -- like a waffle iron -- but I don't know who
makes it. I think there are folks on this list who may have such a
gadget or have used one.
HTH,
Penny

On 3/8/16, Regina Marie via Cookinginthedark