[CnD] Cutco Taste of Ireland

Nicole Massey nyyki at gypsyheir.com
Thu Mar 31 23:10:40 EDT 2016

Cutco knives opened a local store here recently. Since my roommate is a
devoted Cutco user we attended their grand opening and got invites to their
Taste of Ireland presentation, and  we got the following recipes. We also
got to try everything except the cabbage, and I was able to talk to the chef
about adapting the recipes to sight-impaired needs.
Below are the recipes for Irish Grilled Cheese Sandwiches, Fried Irish
Cabbage with Bacon, Irish Lamb Stew, and Irish Bananas. Note that in the
bananas he used Jamison Irish Whisky, and it was very tasty. These would be
great things for your next year St. Patrick's Day meal if you want to serve
something besides the very Irish-American corned beef and cabbage. I still
need a good Colcannon (sp?) recipe.
All recipes are in Meal Master format. A legend of abbreviation codes is at
the end of the recipes.
---------- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v7.07

Title: Irish Grilled Cheese
Categories:  cheese/eggs, breads, Irish
Servings: 4

       4 tb softened butter
       2 tb chopped parsley
       2 tb chopped scallions
       2 tb chopped chives
       8 ea slices bread
       4 ea slices Irish cheddar cheese (any cheddar will sub)
       1 ea jar of Bread-n-Butter pickles

Mash herbs into softened butter. Spread mixture on both sides of bread
slices. Top four with sliced cheddar and

bread and butter pickles. Cover with remaining bread slices. Fry in a
skillet about a minute and a half on each

side. Spread any remaining herbed butter on sandwiches. Slice into quarters.
Press cut edges into any remaining

chopped herbs.
 Source:  Cutco Taste of Ireland Presentation
-----

---------- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v7.07

Title: Fried Irish Cabbage with Bacon
Categories: Vegetables, Irish, Pork
Servings: 4

      12 oz slab bacon
       ¼ c  bacon drippings
       1 sm cabbage - cored
       - -- finely chopped Ground black pepper to taste

Cook bacon in skillet over medium heat until crisp - approx 5 to 7 minutes.
Remove bacon from skillet and drain.

Reserve drippings in skillet. Cook cabbage in hot bacon drippings over
medium heat until wilted - approx 5 to 7

minutes. Stir while cooking. Crumble bacon over cabbage. Stir and simmer
until bacon is warmed again - approx 2 to 3

minutes. Season with black pepper.
Source:  Cutco Taste of Ireland Presentation
-----

---------- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v7.07

Title: Irish Lamb Stew
Categories: Soups/Stews, Lamb/Mutton, One Dish, Irish
Servings: 8

       3 lb lamb shoulder, cut in two-inch chunks
       4 tb vegetable oil
       2 lb wedged onions
       1 lb whole carrots, sliced lengthwise
       4 c  broth - chicken, veal, or beef (water if no broth available)
       1 lg sprig thyme
       3 lb peeled and halved potatoes
       - -- salt and pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 350°f. Wash lamb and pat dry. Season with salt and pepper.
Brown meat in oil, in heavy-bottomed

oven-safe soup pot over medium heat. (This should take about five minutes,
turning chunks to brown evenly) Set meat

aside. Add onions and carrots to pot. Season with salt and pepper. Cook
vegetables until lightly browned - approx 5

minutes. Return meat to pot. Add broth. Bring to a simmer. Add thyme.
Arrange potatoes on top (they don't have to be

submerged). Season with salt and pepper. Cover pot. Transfer to oven. Bake
for approx 1 hour. Stew is ready when

lamb is very tender. Skim fat and serve. For thicker stew, crush some of the
potatoes, or add a slurry of

flour/water.
Stovetop: Keep covered at a gentle simmer for approx 1 hour.
Slow Cooker: Brown the meat as directed, then place all ingredients into the
crock and cook for 7-9 hours on low.
Source:  Cutco Taste of Ireland Presentation
-----
---------- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v7.07
Title: Irish Bananas
Categories: Fruit, Dessert, Irish
Servings: 8

       ½ c  butter
       ½ c  packed light brown sugar
       ½ c  Irish whiskey
       4 lg peeled bananas - sliced lengthwise
       1 qt vanilla ice cream

Melt butter in skillet over medium heat, feeling for any unmelted chunks
with the spoon. Stir in brown sugar and

whiskey. Bring to a boil and cook until sugar has dissolved. (listen to
boiling sounds) Add bananas to skillet.

Simmer until bananas are tender and glazed with syrup. (check for softness
to determine doneness)Serve with vanilla

ice cream.
Source:  Cutco Taste of Ireland Presentation
-----

Legend of unit of measure codes
bn	bunch
bt bottle