[CnD] Banana Bread

Sharon Howerton shrnhow at gmail.com
Sat Jun 11 09:55:18 CEST 2016

This recipe comes from a cookbook I received as a gift perhaps 40 years ago.
It is called DELTA GAMMA COOKBOOK FOR THE BLIND. The pages are thermoform
and the covers have disappeared, but the recipes are good and I use this one
all the time. My grandkids love this recipe!

½ cup shortening (I use 1 stick of regular butter)

1 cup sugar

2 eggs

1 cup mashed ripe bananas (I use one or two for each batch depending on the
size of the banana)

1 tsp lemon juice

2 cups flour (I use all purpose)

3 tsp baking powder

1 tsp salt

1 tsp chopped nuts

And I don’t think there would be any reason that you could not put chocolate
chips on top or in the batter, but I think if you put them on top, they
would melt into the bread and would probably be very good!

When I make this recipe, I beat the eggs first and then add the butter and
sugar. Add bananas and lemon juice. Add dry ingredients. Finally, add the
nuts. I use a stand mixer but am sure you could use an electric hand mixer
so everything blends well.

Pour into greased 9x5 inch loaf pan.

Bake at 350 degrees for one hour 5 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes
out clean.

This makes a one pound loaf.

If I have three or four ripe bananas, I make two loaves by just doubling all
of the ingredients.