[CnD] Date Walnut Bread

Sharon Howerton shrnhow at gmail.com
Sat Jun 11 10:23:57 CEST 2016

I have used this recipe for years and have combined the recipes form a
couple of cookbooks.

1 10p oz package of pitted dates (if you get a large bag, I would use a
little more than a cup and there is no need to chop them; they will soften
in the boiling water and will chop in the mixer)

2 tsp baking soda

1-1/2 boiling water

3 cups all purpose flour

¾ tsp salt

3 eggs

1-3/4 cups sugar

1-1/2 tsp vanilla extract

½ cup butter (I just use one stick which has softened)

2 cups chopped nuts

In bowl, combine the boiled water, dates and baking soda. The dates will
soften nicely while you prepare the rest of the batter.

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Grease four small or two regular size loaf
pans. (I prefer the larger pans; I find them easier to manage when removing
from the oven.)

In mixing bowl, beat eggs, sugar until just blended. Beat in butter. Beat in
dry ingredients alternately with date mixture beginning and ending with dry
ingredients. Fold in nuts.

Spoon or pour into prepared pans.

Bake 40 to 50 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center of loaf comes
out clean.