[CnD] Pumpkin Bread

Sharon Howerton shrnhow at gmail.com
Sat Jun 11 10:31:22 CEST 2016

This recipe comes from a very old cookbook called A Leaf from Our Table
which was published by the Guild for the Blind back in the 1970's if I
remember correctly. Some of the book has fallen apart over the years, but
the recipes are just as good and this one is no exception. I have made it
for years.

4 eggs thoroughly beaten

3 cups sugar

1 cup vegetable oil (I use canola oil)

1-1/2 tsp salt

1 tsp cinnamon

1 tsp nutmeg

(I have often substituted 2-3 tsp pumpkin pie spice as have a bunch of it!)

2/3 cup water

2 cups or 1 15 oz can solid pumpkin

(I have occasionally used pumpkin pie mix and just adjusted the cooking time
as it needs to bake longer; it's turned out nice and moist.)

3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour

2 tsp baking soda

1 or 2 cups chopped walnuts

Sometimes I have added some chocolate chips

Mix in order given. Turn batter into two greased 9x5 loaf pans. Bake at 350
degrees for one hour or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.

In the original cookbook, this recipe is attributed to Sade Phelan of Oak
Park, Illinois.