[CnD] Copycat Pioneer Woman Hoppin John Recipe

Susan Lumpkin slumpkin at austin.rr.com
Tue Jul 19 22:39:52 CEST 2016

It's slumpkin at austin.rr.com. Thanks.

Susan

-----Original Message-----
From: Naima Leigh via Cookinginthedark [mailto:cookinginthedark at acbradio.org]
Sent: Tuesday, July 19, 2016 3:23 PM
To: cookinginthedark at acbradio.org
Cc: Naima Leigh <nleigh2016 at gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [CnD] Copycat Pioneer Woman Hoppin John Recipe

 Hi Susan,

I need your email address so I can send your request.

For everyone else if you don't like it, then delete it!
I am trying my best sharing what I find. Sorry it's not what you want but how many of you? Took time to research and write by hand into word the recipes you have found and posted it for everyone to enjoy.
Very few of you can say "YES!" To this. For the ones that have a problem "Then Leave!!!"
It's darn near impossible to find accessible recipes for the blind on Google. And even harder to find recreations of famous restaurants. This is my first time joining a list like this, and was not welcomed with open arms. Instead hate and complaints about what I posted or what I said.
There is no topic to go by. So what am I supposed to do? No subjections or help was given. Nearly any thanks for my hard work to keep you up to date on new recipes.
For the one's complaining about the meats: get a Talking Meat Thermometer. Put the meat in the oven or in a Philips Air Fryer if you have one.
If you don't like something then why didn't you write me privately and discuss it, instead of blasting me over the whole list. I would have gave you the respect and dignity to discuss the issue in private. Not throghing shade on someone who is just trying to fit in, where they can get in and be excepted, not hated on. "I DON'T KNOW ANY OF YOU!!!!!!!!"
I'm blind just like some of you, so why would you hate on one of your own kind. Is it because of your ignorant's to others or is it for your insensitivity towards some not exact like you?
Maybe you should write some books since you're not happy.
For those who understand what I 'm trying to say: "Thank You".
This community needs to come together in unity and love one another, not hate!
If this list is going to be about hate and bashing someone for trying, then it should be taken down for good.

I'd like to have these recipes too if you decide to discontinue sending them to the list. Thanks. Happy cooking and recipe collecting.

Susan

Copycat Pioneer Woman Hoppin John Recipe

Prep time: 10 minutes

Cook Time: 1 hour

Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes

Serves: 10

Ingredients

1 whole onion, diced

4 cloves garlic, minced

1 whole green bell pepper diced

2 whole stalks Celery, diced

4 cups soaked Black-eyes Peas

5 cups low-sodium (no-sodium) Chicken Broth

1 whole Ham Hock or ½ lb. bacon, (optional turkey) chopped (optional smoked turkey wings)

Salt and pepper to taste

1 heaping teaspoon Cayenne Seasoning

1 bay leaf

White or Brown Rice, for Serving

Instructions

1.       Cook bacon pieces in a large pot over medium-high heat until
crispy.

2.       add onion, green pepper, celery to pot and stir.

3.       Cook for 3 to 4 minutes.

4.       Add in garlic and cook for another 1-2 minutes.

5.       Stir in rinsed beans, then add chicken broth, salt & pepper, and
cayenne to taste.

6.       Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and cover the pot for 30 minutes.

7.       After 30 minutes, check the liquid level; if it’s soupy, cook with
the lid off for another 15-30 minutes or so.

8.       If it’s too thick, splash in a little more broth and keep covered
for another 15-30 minutes.

9.       Taste for seasonings.

10.   Add more spice if needed.

11.   Serve over white or brown rice, making sure to get plenty of the
cooking liquid Spooned over the top.

12.   Or, you may mix the bean mixture with the rice before serving (that’s
what I did).