[CnD] Copycat Pioneer Woman Hoppin John Recipe
sugarsyl71 at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jul 19 23:50:20 CEST 2016
Thanks for this one, plan to make it tonight for dinner.
‘I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the
From: Naima Leigh via Cookinginthedark [mailto:cookinginthedark at acbradio.org]
Sent: Tuesday, July 19, 2016 8:51 AM
To: cookinginthedark at acbradio.org
Cc: Naima Leigh
Subject: [CnD] Copycat Pioneer Woman Hoppin John Recipe
Copycat Pioneer Woman Hoppin John Recipe
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
1 whole onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 whole green bell pepper diced
2 whole stalks Celery, diced
4 cups soaked Black-eyes Peas
5 cups low-sodium (no-sodium) Chicken Broth
1 whole Ham Hock or ½ lb. bacon, (optional turkey) chopped (optional smoked turkey wings)
Salt and pepper to taste
1 heaping teaspoon Cayenne Seasoning
1 bay leaf
White or Brown Rice, for Serving
1. Cook bacon pieces in a large pot over medium-high heat until
2. add onion, green pepper, celery to pot and stir.
3. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes.
4. Add in garlic and cook for another 1-2 minutes.
5. Stir in rinsed beans, then add chicken broth, salt & pepper, and
cayenne to taste.
6. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and cover the pot for 30 minutes.
7. After 30 minutes, check the liquid level; if it’s soupy, cook with
the lid off for another 15-30 minutes or so.
8. If it’s too thick, splash in a little more broth and keep covered
for another 15-30 minutes.
9. Taste for seasonings.
10. Add more spice if needed.
11. Serve over white or brown rice, making sure to get plenty of the
cooking liquid Spooned over the top.
12. Or, you may mix the bean mixture with the rice before serving (that’s
what I did).
Cookinginthedark mailing list
Cookinginthedark at acbradio.org
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
More information about the Cookinginthedark