[CnD] The Palm Test (Was: My thoughts on Recipes on the List)

Nicole Massey nyyki at gypsyheir.com
Wed Jul 20 05:22:02 CEST 2016

This is from "Consider the Fork", a book on the history of cooking utensils and elements, including fire, kitchens, and the like. It came from a French chef. The book is available from Bard, and I found it an interesting read. (listen, whatever)
This is for cooking on an open grill, so it won't translate to a clamshell grill like the George Foreman. With your secondary hand poke yourself lightly on the big fleshy end of your palm at the base of the thumb with the index finger of your dominant hand. Now take your index finger and your thumb and touch them together. You'll feel that fleshy part as it firms up a bit. That feeling you're feeling right there is how a medium rare steak should feel under  your utensil. Now add your communication finger next to it. That's medium, and adding your ring finger will tense things up a bit more for medium well. If all your fingers are together arched so the index finger touches the tip of the thumb that's how well-done should feel. And with no fingers touching that's rare.
I like this because it's a touch based system instead of one that depends on sight, and it allows me to translate things in case the recipe doesn't do things in a blind friendly way.