[CnD] Cherry Cobbler

ellen telker emtelk at optonline.net
Wed Aug 24 13:25:15 CEST 2016

Kim Charleson was giving away some braille cookbooks, and I asked for one called A Taste of Cherries, and I just got it out of my mailbox.  I haven't actually made the following recipe but it sounds good.  I have a book from the National Braille Press on fruit desserts and it says that sour cherries are the best to use for baking so I hope you have the right kind.  Let me know if this is as good as it sounds.
Cherry Cobbler
1/4 cup butter or margarine, softened
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 cup milk
2 cups pitted cherries
1/4 to 1/2 cup sugar (sour cherries require 1/2 cup and sweet ones less)
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1 and 1/2 cups water
2 tablespoons bourbon, optional

Cream butter and sugar until fluffy.  Mix together flour, salt and baking powder and add to creamed mixture alternately with milk, beating until smooth.  Pour mixtur into a greased shallow 2 quart casserole.  Spoon cherries over batter.  Mix together sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle evenly over cherries.  Pour water over top.  Bake at 375 degrees for 45 to 50 minutes.  During baking the fruit goes to the bottom and the cake comes to the top.  Good served warm with ice cream or whipped cream. Serves 6 to 8.
Ellen the be