[CnD] homemade sweetened condensed milk

Wayne Scott waynedscottjr at gmail.com
Sun Sep 4 22:13:41 CEST 2016

HOMEMADE SWEETENED CONDENSED MILK
From Devils Food Cake Murder by Joanne Fluke

1/3 cup boiling water
4 tablespoons butter
3/4 cup sugar
½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 cup powdered milk (I used Carnation Nonfat
Powdered Milk, but I've also used my local
grocery store brand.)
In a blender, or using an electric mixer set on LOW, blend
together the boiling water and butter.
Add the sugar and let it run for a few seconds.
Add the pure vanilla extract and let it run for several
additional seconds.
Shut off the blender or mixer, pour in the powdered milk, and
then blend or mix on LOW until the resulting mixture is thick.
Use immediately, or store in a covered container in the
refrigerator.  This homemade version of sweetened condensed milk
will last for up to one week in the refrigerator.
Yield: This recipe makes the equivalent of one 14-ounce can of
sweetened condensed milk that can be used in pies, cakes, cookie
bars and flans.
Hannah's Note: My Grandma Ingrid made this up every Sunday
morning and put it in the refrigerator to use in coffee for the
whole week.