[CnD] volcano cake
hwhitehead at cogeco.ca
Fri Oct 21 19:42:17 CEST 2016
Chocolate Volcano Birthday Cake
1 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 cups flour
3/4 cup cocoa powder, sifted
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 1/2 cups sour cream
1 cup heavy whipping cream
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 cup heavy whipping cream
12 ounces bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
1 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped, for topping
Bittersweet chocolate shavings, for garnish.
To prepare the cake:
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. In the bowl of a heavy-duty mixer, beat the butter and sugar until creamy
and a pale yellow color. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, mixing well after
3. Add 1 cup of the flour, the cocoa powder, baking soda, and baking powder,
and beat well.
4. Add the sour cream and beat well.
5. Add the remaining flour and beat until smooth.
6. Pour the batter into a well-greased 4-quart metal bowl and bake until a
knife inserted in the cake comes out clean, 35 to 40 minutes. Let cool for
10 minutes, and then flip the bowl over onto a rack to release the cake. Let
To prepare the filling and fill the cake:
1. Whip the cream, sugar, and vanilla until the cream holds soft peaks.
2. Using a long, serrated knife, split the cake by cutting off a
1/2-inch-thick slice from the cake's flat base. Turn the cake over so the
flat side is facing up.
3. Carefully scoop out the inside of the cake, setting aside 1 cup of cake
crumbs, leaving a 1-inch-thick shell of cake all around.
4. Gently fold the reserved cake crumbs into the whipped cream.
5. Fill the hollowed-out cake with the whipped cream mixture, set the
1/2-inch-thick base on top, and refrigerate for 1 hour.
To prepare the glaze:
1. Heat the cream in a saucepan over high heat just until it comes to a
2. Meanwhile, place the chocolate in the bowl of a food processor and
process until finely chopped.
3. With the machine running, pour the hot cream through the feed tube and
process until smooth. Transfer the glaze to a bowl and let cool for 10
To glaze the cake:
Place the cake, round side up, on a rack set on a baking sheet. Pour the
glaze over the cake, letting it run down the sides to cover the cake
Refrigerate for at least 2 hours, or up to 24 hours.
Transfer the cake to a platter. Garnish with whipped cream and chocolate
----- Original Message -----
From: "Mike and Jean via Cookinginthedark" <cookinginthedark at acbradio.org>
To: <cookinginthedark at acbradio.org>
Cc: "Mike and Jean" <mjs1981 at sc.rr.com>
Sent: Friday, October 21, 2016 6:16 PM
Subject: [CnD] volcano cake
I am looking for a recipe for a volcano cake with chocolate filling. Thanks
in advance. Mike
Cookinginthedark mailing list
Cookinginthedark at acbradio.org
More information about the Cookinginthedark