[CnD] Requesting a recipe

Deb Trevino debra_trevino at bellsouth.net
Fri Dec 2 21:23:25 EST 2016

Here's a biscuit and gravy recipe I have used for well over 10 years.  It
comes from Jeff Smith's Cooks America.

1?2 pound pork   breakfast sausage (bulk),
2 tbsp. chopped yellow onion,
3 tbsp. flour,
2 cups hot milk,
salt and pepper to taste.

1.  Heat the pan and fry the sausage and onion until sausage is brown and
onion is clear.

2.  Drain off grease except for 3 tbsp.

3.  Stir in flour and cook for 1 minute.

4.  Add hot milk.  (It can be heated in the microwave.  I heat it for 3
minutes and its not really hot but that's always worked for me).

5.   Stir constantly until mixture thickens then season with salt and
pepper.  (I add the salt and pepper before the gravy thickens, just after I
add the milk).

6.  Serve over warm opened biscuits.

Harriet's Biscuits

1 cup plus 2 tbsp. 1 tsp baking powder, 1/2 tsp. salt, 1/4 tsp baking soda,
2 tbsp. Crisco,1/2 cup buttermilk, 1 tbsp. Crosco for frying pan.

1.  Mix dry ingredients together in a bowl.

2.  Blend in Crisco until mixture is coarse and grainy.  (Use a fork or
pastry blender).

  3.  Using a fork, stir in bittermilk.  Do not over mix.

4.  Put on floured board and knead just a few times.

5.  Pat out dough to about 1/2 inch thick.  Cut with a biscuit cutter or a
glass.  (Flour the cutter).  Do not handle the dough too much or it will get
tough.

6.  Use a heavy black iron frying pan.  Place 1 tbsp. Crisco in the frying
pan and place pan in the oven and heat at 500 degrees for about 7 minutes.
.

7.  Remove pan and place biscuits in the pan, turning each once in the oil.

8.  Bake at 500 degrees for 10 minutes or until light brown.

NOTE:  I believe the turning of the biscuits int ehhot oil before baking
makes the exterior nicely crispy while the inside is moist and wonderful!
I've made this meal so many times I just approximate themeasurements.  Its
very forgiving.

Blessings,

Deb Trevino
Candidate for Teaching Elder