[CnD] Tonight's Dinner: Irish Lamb Stew (Tried and True)

Nicole Massey nyyki at gypsyheir.com
Fri Mar 17 22:29:36 EDT 2017

This is what I made to celebrate St. Patrick's day. (I don't normally
celebrate saints, but it's also an Irish heritage day, so I feel the need to
honor at least a quarter of my background) I made this using the stove top
directions. Make sure your knife is nice and sharp, as lamb can be a bit
tougher to cut than other more common meats. This is a fairly easy dish, and
it turned out amazing. I also made Irish soda bread from a mix, so I won't
inflict that recipe on y'all. (I've got one, but they're fairly common on
the web) A typical serving is about two cups -- eat more only if you're
resistant to big meals, as it's hearty and filling.
Title: Irish Lamb Stew
Categories: Soups/Stews, Lamb/Mutton, One Dish, Irish
Servings: 8

       3 lb lamb shoulder, cut in two-inch chunks
       4 tb vegetable oil
       2 lb wedged onions
       1 lb whole carrots, sliced lengthwise
       4 c  broth - chicken, veal, or beef (water if no broth available)
       1 lg sprig thyme
       3 lb peeled and halved potatoes
       - -- salt and pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 350°f. Wash lamb and pat dry. Season with salt and pepper.
Brown meat in oil, in heavy-bottomed oven-safe soup pot over medium heat.
(This should take about five minutes, turning chunks to brown evenly) Set
meat aside. Add onions and carrots to pot. Season with salt and pepper. Cook
vegetables until lightly browned - approx 5 minutes. Return meat to pot. Add
broth. Bring to a simmer. Add thyme. Arrange potatoes on top (they don't
have to be submerged). Season with salt and pepper. Cover pot. Transfer to
oven. Bake for approx 1 hour. Stew is ready when lamb is very tender. Skim
fat and serve. For thicker stew, crush some of the potatoes, or add a slurry
of flour/water.
Stovetop: Keep covered at a gentle simmer for approx 1 hour.
Slow Cooker: Brown the meat as directed, then place all ingredients into the
crock and cook for 7-9 hours on low.
Source:  Cutco Taste of Ireland Presentation