[CnD] steel cut oatmeal

Pamela Fairchild pamelafairchild at comcast.net
Sat Jun 24 14:09:16 EDT 2017

My particular microwave has a setting for cooking oatmeal. It works like a charm every time. I never have had a boil over when using that setting and have found the setting works well for other cereals too, including instant rice. My microwave is a Panasonic, and they have worked hard to see that their automatic settings work well.
I have learned to generalize for recipes I don't know about. If something needs to cook very slowly I use the egg setting. For oatmeal, you want the water to just come to a boil then slow down and then stop.
Cooking times are affected greatly if you begin with differing water temperatures at the beginning of the cooking. Whatever temperature water you put into the container at the beginning, try to be consistent so that your final results will be the same each time. I love microwave cooking and use it whenever I can get away with doing so.

Pamela Fairchild <pamelafairchild at comcast.net>