[CnD] How Do You Know When Something is Simmering?

Dani Pagador pocketfulofspry at gmail.com
Sat Jul 8 03:31:57 EDT 2017

Hi, Everyone.
I'm trying to cook beans that I soaked earlier today--I started at
10:00A and let them soak till 7:00 or so.

The Joy of Cooking website says to bring the water to a boil, then
cook the beans at a low simmer till they're tender.

Sightlings see little bubbles on the surface of the water/sauce
they're simmering. Whatscookingamerica says the simmer temperature is
between 190 and 200 degrees F.

I'm going to take Dale up on his statement that no question is a
stupid question.

So novice stovetop cook asks: How does the nonvisual cook monitor
whether something is simmering? Do I need to babysit the beans and
monitor the water temperature?

And if I'm putting three kinds of dry beans in what I hope will be
chili, do I need to cook each batch separately, or can I dump the
white, black, and pinto beans all in to one pot and cook them together
before adding them to the chili mix?

Thanks,
Dani