[CnD] fries not cooking properly

Penny Reeder penny.reeder at gmail.com
Fri Jul 14 18:24:22 EDT 2017

The recipe I'm pasting below is more complicated than making "oven
fries," but the results are spectacular!
Penny
Patricia Wells' Fake Frites

Author Notes:
 A trick for the best french fries you can make at home -- in the
oven, using less
oil than you'd put on a salad. Game on. Recipe from
At Home in Proven
 (
...more
) -
Genius Recipes
Serves 4 to 6
2pounds baking potatoes, such as Idaho russets or Bintje, peeled and
cut into thick
fries, 3/4 inch by 3 inches
2 to 3tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
 Fine sea salt to taste
1.  Preheat the oven to 500٠ F. Bring 1 quart of water to a simmer in
the bottom of
a steamer. Place the potatoes on the steaming rack, place the rack in
the steamer,
cover, and steam just until a knife inserted in a potato comes away clean, 10 to
12 minutes. (The potatoes should not be cooked through, or they will
tend to fall
apart.)
2.  Transfer the steamed potatoes to a bowl and drizzle with oil.
Carefully toss to
coat evenly with oil. (The potatoes can be prepared to this point
several hours in
advance. Set aside at room temperature.)
3.  With a large slotted spoon, transfer the potatoes in a single
layer to a nonstick
baking sheet. Discard any excess oil or liquid. Place the baking sheet
in the oven
and bake, turning so they brown evenly, until the potatoes are crisp
and deep golden
brown, 10 to 20 minutes. Remove from the oven, season generously with
salt, and serve
immediately.

On 7/14/17, Jude DaShiell via Cookinginthedark