[CnD] Recipe: Sweet Hot Mustard Chicken

Danielle Ledet singingmywayin at gmail.com
Tue Jul 18 10:03:57 EDT 2017

Well thanks Dani! I copied that down and was in such a hurry I missed
the note. Would've been quite some time later and I would've wondered
what it said.

On 7/17/17, Dani Pagador via Cookinginthedark
> Re the chipotle powder, Jon writes:
> "Chipotle powder is fairly easy to find, but it may cost a bit if
> you're buying one of the large national brands.  If you happen to have
> a Win Co near you with a large section for bulk spices, I'd suggest
> you get it there as it will be far less expensive.  If you can't get
> it, just leave it out. You could just use regular chili powder in its
> place if you like.  When I make this at home, I don't bother reducing
> the sauce to serve with the chicken any more.  Most of what ends up in
> the sheet pan is fat and not worth dealing with, at least for me.  As
> far as slicing the onion into rings, I first slice each end off the
> onion, peel it, then slice into rings about a quarter inch thick or
> so.  It is then an easy matter to go in and seperate the rings by
> hand.  I usually place the small rings inside the larger ones on the
> sheet pan.  It is definitely one of my favorite dishes, though I can't
> imagine the mustard flavor in the chicken going well with flavors like
> salsa and the like."
>
> HTH,
> Dani
>

> On 7/16/17, Dani Pagador via Cookinginthedark
> <cookinginthedark at acbradio.org> wrote:
>> Deb,
>> I didn't see the note, either. I'll go look at my msgs from the
>> Blindcooks list to see what Jon says about the chipotle powder.
>>
>> I found it in the spice aisle at my local grocery. Strange how I find
>> some things--that, for example,--and not others, like other kinds of
>> nut butters besides peanut and almond, and no lard.
>>
>> More Later,
>> Dani
>>

>> On 7/15/17, Deborah Barnes via Cookinginthedark
>> <cookinginthedark at acbradio.org> wrote:
>>> Hi Dani,
>>>
>>> While looking for a work-related email, I found a recipe sent in June.
>>> It's
>>> the Sweet Mustard Chicken.  It said:
>>>
>>> 1/2 teaspoon chipotle powder (see note)
>>>
>>> I did not see the note in the recipe.  Do you know what the note said
>>> originally?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Deb B.

>>> 1/2 cup Dijon mustard
>>> 1/4 cup light brown sugar
>>> 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
>>> 1 teaspoon kosher salt
>>> 1 teaspoon black pepper, coarsely ground
>>> 1 teaspoon dry mustard powder
>>> 1/2 teaspoon chipotle powder (see note)
>>> 3/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
>>> 4 large garlic cloves, minced
>>> 1 large onion, sliced and separated into rings
>>>
>>> 1. Working with one chicken thigh at a time, cut 2 or 3 deep gashes in
>>> the
>>> meat.  Place the chicken into a 1-gallon zip top bag.
>>>
>>> 2. Combine the mustard, brown sugar, vinegar, salt, pepper, mustard
>>> powder,
>>> chipotle, garlic, and cayenne pepper in a medium bowl and thoroughly
>>> combine. Pour the marinade over the chicken in the bag, then seal the
>>> bag,
>>> pressing out all the air. Gently massage the marinade into the meat.
>>> Place
>>> the bag in a large bowl or on a rimmed cookie sheet, then refrigerate at
>>> least 8 hours or up to 24 hours.
>>>
>>> 3. When ready to cook, preheat your oven to 450 degrees F. Line a rimmed
>>> baking sheet with foil or parchment paper, then cover the pan with the
>>> slices of onion. Place the chicken thighs on top of the onion slices,
>>> skin-side up,then pour the remaining marinade evenly over the chicken.
>>> Sprinkle with a pinch or two of additional kosher salt, black pepper,
>>> and
>>> cayenne pepper to taste.
>>>
>>> 4. Bake the chicken for 35 to 45 minutes, or until done. Remove the
>>> sheet
>>> pan to a heatproof surface, and using tongs, transfer the chicken to a
>>> large
>>> serving platter.  Keep warm.
>>>
>>> 5. Pour the juices on the baking sheet into a small saucepan and place
>>> over
>>> high heat. Bring to a rapid boil, skimming the fat from the surface as
>>> necessary, until reduced by half; roughly 5 to 8 minutes.
>>> Pour the sauce evenly over the chicken and serve immediately with the
>>> onion
>>> slices.