[CnD] Temps for meat

Penny Reeder penny.reeder at gmail.com
Thu Aug 17 15:08:15 EDT 2017

Hi, This is a silly list (None of these measurements work for me...!)
but it's kind of a fun way to think about doneness:

The doneness test
When is the steak done? Use the touch method.

It may take some practice, but the "touch system" should be your No. 1
guide to judging doneness.

. Rare: Let one hand hang limp. With the index finger of the other
hand, push gently into the soft triangle of flesh between the thumb
and index finger of the hanging hand. It will offer very little
resistance, give way very easily and feel soft and spongy. That is the
feel of rare steak.

. Medium-rare: Extend the hand in front of you and spread the fingers.
Press the same spot with the index finger of the other hand. The flesh
will be firmer but not hard, springy and slightly resistant. This is
the feel of medium-rare steak.

. Medium: Make a fist and press the spot. It will feel firm and snap
back quickly, offering only a minimum of give, as does meat cooked to
medium.

Don't even think about a further comparison. Cook your steak any more
and it will be a lost cause.

"Steak Lover's Cookbook

Doneness Test for Meat:
Ear Lobe - rare
Tip of Nose - Medium
Chin -- well

Meat
Temperatures
Steak/Beef

Rare
120° F - 125° F (48.9° C to 51.6° C)
Medium-rare
130° F - 135° F (54.4° C to 57.2° C)
Medium
140° F - 145° F (60° C to 62.8 °C)
Medium-well
150° F - 155° F (65.5° C to 68.3° C)
Well done
160° F (71.1 °C) and above
Lamb

Rare
135° F (57.2 ° C)
Medium-rare
140° F - 150° F (60° C to 65.5° C)
Medium
160° (71.1 °C)
Well done
165° (73.9 °C) and above
Poultry

Chicken
165° F - 175° F (73.9 °C to 80° C)
Turkey
165° F - 175° F (73.9 °C to 80° C)
Pork
145° F (62.8 °C)
Ham, Fully Cooked (to reheat)*
140° F (60° C)
Ground Poultry
165° F (73.9 °C)
Ground Meat
160° F (71.1 °C)
Eggs and Egg Dishes
160° F (71.1 °C)
Casseroles
160° F (71.1 °C)
Stuffing, Dressing
165° F (73.9 °C)
Reheated Leftovers
165° F (73.9 °C)
Holding Temperature for Cooked Food
140° F (60° C)
[From: https://www.thespruce.com/meat-temp-chart-and-safety-tips-3056800]

On 8/17/17, Brian Oglesbee via Cookinginthedark